Friday, March 6, 2009

An enigma

Something very strange has occurred to me. While Socrates shows multiple theories of knowledge to be problematic, he also, beginning at 187 d, shows the idea of error, or false judgement, to be wholly enigmatic. If we apply this problem to the theories of knowledge that Socrates critiques, it follows that, even though they do not work, we cannot say that they are mistaken. Or is it rather the case that we know they are mistaken, but cannot explain exactly how this is possible? Perhaps such a resolution may apply to knowledge as well. 

On another note, I could have sworn that I read at some point in the Theaetetus an explanation of the term "wind egg" in a foot note or something, but now I cannot seem to find it, and it has me really puzzled. Does anyone else know where it might be?

5 comments:

  1. There is a mention of "wind eggs" near the end of Theaetetus. (210b)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm aware of a few different instances in which Socrates mentions wind eggs, but I'm looking more specifically for an etymological explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possibly the Greek word for wind-egg is (anemiaion) meaning falsehood or lacking a father or parents, but I am not completely sure. Perhaps "wind-egg" represents a miscarriage of ideas (perceptual?) that were previously cherished and believed to contain knowledge. In this sense its opposite is fertility. (151e)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what Socrates means by the expression i context; I just don't understand that choice of term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what he means as well; I'm actually just looking to include the etymology in my paper. It's the kind of term that would be nice to be able to explain well.

    ReplyDelete